Merge commit vs normal commit

天大地大妈咪最大 提交于 2019-11-27 02:39:21

问题

On daily routine i use SmartGit as client of choose. My team members however stick to git native, non commercial GUI. We discovered some differences in how our merge commits looks like.

Those are options that SmartGit gives when requested to merge branch:

On below graph you can see my example SmartGit graph output, containing:

• single master branch
  • One branch merged to master with merge commit option
  • One branch merged with simple commit option

One of branches (with_merge_branch) is visualizing merge operation by joining branch with master via line. Second one (normal_commit_branch) does not.

Question is, how to enforce both behaviors in native git commands? I.e. whats the difference between those two commits?

回答1:

The difference between the two kinds of merge are only different in the commit history (as you showed the logs in graph).

Let's illustrate by graphs. Assume the commit history as below before merging:

A---B---C---D  master
     \
      E---F---G  develop

Merge commit (multiple parents):

The command used is git merge branchname. It's the default way to merge two branches.

When you merge develop branch into master branch by Merge commit in SmartGit (git merge develop), the commit history will be:

A---B---C---D---M  master
     \         /
      E---F---G    develop

Simple commit (one parent, "squash"):

It merges two branches with --squash option, the command used is git merge branchname --squash.

--squash

Produce the working tree and index state as if a real merge happened (except for the merge information), but do not actually make a commit, move the HEAD, or record $GIT_DIR/MERGE_HEAD (to cause the next git commit command to create a merge commit). This allows you to create a single commit on top of the current branch whose effect is the same as merging another branch (or more in case of an octopus).

When you merge develop branch into master branch by simple commit in SmartGit (git merge develop --squash), it get the changes from develop branch into master branch as a new ordinary commit (as if a real merge happened), and the commit history will be:

A---B---C---D---M  master
     \                 
      E---F---G    develop

回答2:

merge commits are just commit but the difference is they have more than one parents. as you know commits may or may not have parent commit, in fact the merge commit is the commit that have more than one parent commit.

来源:https://stackoverflow.com/questions/47089913/merge-commit-vs-normal-commit

易学教程内所有资源均来自网络或用户发布的内容,如有违反法律规定的内容欢迎反馈
该文章没有解决你所遇到的问题?点击提问,说说你的问题,让更多的人一起探讨吧!