Cxx-prettyprint (for standard containers) defines its output operators inside namespace std - is this a standard violation?

为君一笑 提交于 2019-12-01 08:19:28

问题

I have been successfully using cxx-prettyprint: A C++ Container Pretty-Printer to log container values. (See also Pretty-print C++ STL containers) It's working like a charm on our VS-2005 (VC8) compiler. (with the prettyprint98.hpp header)

While studying its interoperability with Boost.Format, I found to my surprise that it simply works out of the box, when other questions suggest it shouldn't because ADL should fail for a user provided output operator.

Looking into the cxx-pp header I found that it simply works because the library does define its output operator(s) inside the std namespace:

namespace std
{
    // Prints a print_container_helper to the specified stream.

template<typename T, typename TChar, typename TCharTraits, typename TDelimiters>
    inline basic_ostream<TChar, TCharTraits> & operator<<(basic_ostream<TChar, TCharTraits> & stream,
                                                          const ::pretty_print::print_container_helper<T, TChar, TCharTraits, TDelimiters> & helper)
    {
        helper(stream);
        return stream;
    }

Adding something to the std namespace is formally UB:

[C++11: 17.6.4.2.1/1]: The behavior of a C++ program is undefined if it adds declarations or definitions to namespace std or to a namespace within namespace std unless otherwise specified. A program may add a template specialization for any standard library template to namespace std only if the declaration depends on a user-defined type and the specialization meets the standard library requirements for the original template and is not explicitly prohibited.

So, is this in cxx-pp formally UB, or is it a template specialization (It doesn't seem like one to me).

Comments as to the practical impact of this, iff UB, would be very welcome.

来源:https://stackoverflow.com/questions/25120423/cxx-prettyprint-for-standard-containers-defines-its-output-operators-inside-na

易学教程内所有资源均来自网络或用户发布的内容,如有违反法律规定的内容欢迎反馈
该文章没有解决你所遇到的问题?点击提问,说说你的问题,让更多的人一起探讨吧!