C++ underflow and overflow

≯℡__Kan透↙ 提交于 2019-11-27 08:03:06

问题

Hi I am new in here so please let me know if anything is wrong and I will try to better the next time .

I am trying to understand how underflow and overflow works in C++ .My understanding is if a variable's range is exceeded it will start from the other end of the range . Thus if minimum of short is -32768 and if we do a -1 to it the new value should be SHRT_MAX .(32767) Here is my code:

#include<iostream.h>
#include<limits.h>
#include<conio.h>
int main ( void )
{
 int testpositive =INT_MIN ;
 short testnegative = SHRT_MIN ; 
 cout<< SHRT_MIN<<"\n";
 cout << testnegative-1<<"\n";
 cout << INT_MIN << "\n";
 cout << testpositive-1 << "\n"; 
 cout<<testpositive-2;
 getch();
 return 0;
}   

回答1:

The exact behavior on overflow/underflow is only specified for unsigned types. For normal signed integer types instead the C++ standard simply says than anything can happen.

If we're talking about x86 processor (or most other modern processors) indeed the behavior is exactly what you describe and for the CPU there is no difference between a signed value or an unsigned value (there are signed and unsigned operations, but the value themselves are just bits).

Note that compilers can assume (and most modern optimizing compilers actually DO assume) that no signed integer overflow can occur in a correct program and for example in code like:

int do_something();
int do_something_else();

void foo() {
    int x = do_something();
    int y = x + 1;
    if (x < y) {
        do_something();
    } else {
        do_something_else();
    }
}

a compiler is free to skip the test and the else branch in the generated code completely because in a valid program a signed int x is always less than x+1 (as signed overflow cannot be considered valid behavior). If you replace int with unsigned int however the compiler must generate code for the test and for the else branch because for unsigned types it's possible that x > x+1.

For example clang compiles the code for foo to

foo():                                # @foo()
        push    rax
        call    do_something()
        pop     rax
        jmp     do_something()       # TAILCALL

where you can see that the ode just calls do_something twice (except for the strange handling of rax) and no mention of do_something_else is actually present. More or less the same code is generated by gcc.

回答2:

Typically yes. But since this is C++, and C++ is regulated by the C++ standard, you must know that overflows are undefined behavior.

Although what you stated probably applies on most platforms, it's in no way guaranteed, so don't rely on it.

回答3:

The new value need not be SHRT_MAX it is undefined.

回答4:

Signed overflows are undefined behavior in C++.

For example:

INT_MIN - 1

-INT_MIN

are expressions that invoke undefined behavior.

SHRT_MIN - 1 and -SHRT_MIN are not undefined behavior in an environment with 16-bit short and 32-bit int because with integer promotions the operand is promoted to int first. In an environment with 16-bit short and int, these expressions are also undefined behavior.

来源:https://stackoverflow.com/questions/10011372/c-underflow-and-overflow

标签
易学教程内所有资源均来自网络或用户发布的内容,如有违反法律规定的内容欢迎反馈
该文章没有解决你所遇到的问题?点击提问,说说你的问题,让更多的人一起探讨吧!