• amount is an integer

and a table processed as

id | orderid | processed | date
---|---------|-----------|---------
41 | 23      | true      | 2012-04-03
42 | 24      | true      | 2012-04-03
43 | 25      | false     | <NULL>
44 | 26      | true      | 2012-04-05     

I need to get all the rows from order that for the same clientid on the same date have opposing type values. Keep in mind type can only have one of two values - B or S. In the example above this would be rows 23 and 24.

The other constraint is that the corresponding row in processed must be true for the orderid.

My query so far

SELECT c1.clientid,
       c1.date,
       c1.type,
       c1.itemid,
       c1.amount,
       c2.date,
       c2.type,
       c2.itemid,
       c2.amount

FROM   order c1
INNER JOIN order c2 ON c1.itemid    =  c2.itemid AND
                       c1.date      =  c2.date   AND
                       c1.clientid  =  c2.clientid AND
                       c1.type     <>  c2.type AND
                       c1.id        <  c2.id

INNER JOIN processed p1 ON p1.orderid   =  c1.id AND
                         p1.processed =  true
INNER JOIN processed p2 ON p2.orderid   =  c2.id AND
                         p2.processed =  true

QUESTION: Keeping the processed = true as part of the join clause is slowing the query down. If I move it to the WHERE clause then the performance is much better. This has piqued my interest and I'd like to know why.

The primary keys and respective foreign key columns are indexed while the value columns (value, processed etc) aren't.

Disclaimer: I have inherited this DB structure and the performance difference is roughly 6 seconds.

回答1:

The reason that you're seeing a difference is due to the execution plan that the planner is putting together, this is obviously different depending on the query (arguably, it should be optimising the 2 queries to be the same and this may be a bug). This means that the planner thinks it has to work in a particular way to get to the result in each statement.

When you do it within the JOIN, the planner will probably have to select from the table, filter by the "True" part, then join the result sets. I would imagine this is a large table, and therefore a lot of data to look through, and it can't use the indexes as efficiently.

I suspect that if you do it in a WHERE clause, the planner is choosing a route that is more efficient (ie. either index based, or pre filtered dataset).

You could probably make the join work as fast (if not faster) by adding an index on the two columns (not sure if included columns and multiple column indexes are supported on Postgres yet).

In short, the planner is the problem it is choosing 2 different routes to get to the result sets, and one of those is not as efficient as the other. It's impossible for us to know what the reasons are without the full table information and the EXPLAIN ANALYZE information.

If you want specifics on why your specific query is doing this, you'll need to provide more information. However the reason is the planner choosing different routes.

Additional Reading Material:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/explicit-joins.html

Just skimmed, seems that the postgres planner doesn't re-order joins to optimise it. try changing the order of the joins in your statement to see if you then get the same performance... just a thought.

来源:https://stackoverflow.com/questions/10848975/performance-difference-condition-placed-at-inner-join-vs-where-clause

易学教程内所有资源均来自网络或用户发布的内容,如有违反法律规定的内容欢迎反馈
该文章没有解决你所遇到的问题?点击提问,说说你的问题,让更多的人一起探讨吧!