How do I pass environment variables to Docker containers?

落花浮王杯 提交于 2019-11-26 00:34:53

问题

I\'m new to Docker, and it\'s unclear how to access an external database from a container. Is the best way to hard-code in the connection string?

# Dockerfile
ENV DATABASE_URL amazon:rds/connection?string

回答1:

You can pass environment variables to your containers with the -e flag.

An example from a startup script:

sudo docker run -d -t -i -e REDIS_NAMESPACE='staging' \ 
-e POSTGRES_ENV_POSTGRES_PASSWORD='foo' \
-e POSTGRES_ENV_POSTGRES_USER='bar' \
-e POSTGRES_ENV_DB_NAME='mysite_staging' \
-e POSTGRES_PORT_5432_TCP_ADDR='docker-db-1.hidden.us-east-1.rds.amazonaws.com' \
-e SITE_URL='staging.mysite.com' \
-p 80:80 \
--link redis:redis \  
--name container_name dockerhub_id/image_name

Or, if you don't want to have the value on the command-line where it will be displayed by ps, etc., -e can pull in the value from the current environment if you just give it without the =:

sudo PASSWORD='foo' docker run  [...] -e PASSWORD [...]

If you have many environment variables and especially if they're meant to be secret, you can use an env-file:

$ docker run --env-file ./env.list ubuntu bash

The --env-file flag takes a filename as an argument and expects each line to be in the VAR=VAL format, mimicking the argument passed to --env. Comment lines need only be prefixed with #

回答2:

You can pass using -e parameters with docker run .. command as mentioned here and as mentioned by @errata.
However, the possible downside of this approach is that your credentials will be displayed in the process listing, where you run it.
To make it more secure, you may write your credentials in a configuration file and do docker run with --env-file as mentioned here. Then you can control the access of that config file so that others having access to that machine wouldn't see your credentials.

回答3:

If you are using 'docker-compose' as the method to spin up your container(s), there is actually a useful way to pass an environment variable defined on your server to the Docker container.

In your docker-compose.yml file, let's say you are spinning up a basic hapi-js container and the code looks like:

hapi_server:
  container_name: hapi_server
  image: node_image
  expose:
    - "3000"

Let's say that the local server that your docker project is on has an environment variable named 'NODE_DB_CONNECT' that you want to pass to your hapi-js container, and you want its new name to be 'HAPI_DB_CONNECT'. Then in the docker-compose.yml file, you would pass the local environment variable to the container and rename it like so:

hapi_server:
  container_name: hapi_server
  image: node_image
  environment:
    - HAPI_DB_CONNECT=${NODE_DB_CONNECT}
  expose:
    - "3000"

I hope this helps you to avoid hard-coding a database connect string in any file in your container!

回答4:

Use -e or --env value to set environment variables (default []).

An example from a startup script:

docker run  -e myhost='localhost' -it busybox sh

If you want to use multiple environments from the command line then before every environment variable use the -e flag.

Example:

sudo docker run -d -t -i -e NAMESPACE='staging' -e PASSWORD='foo' busybox sh

Note: Make sure put the container name after the environment variable, not before that.

If you need to set up many variables, use the --env-file flag

For example,

$ docker run --env-file ./my_env ubuntu bash

For any other help, look into the Docker help:

$ docker run --help

Official documentation: https://docs.docker.com/compose/environment-variables/

回答5:

Using docker-compose, the example below shows how you can inherit shell env variables within both docker-compose.yml and in turn any Dockerfile(s) called by docker-compose to build images. I've found this useful if say in the Dockerfile RUN command I need to execute commands specific to the environment.

(your shell has RAILS_ENV=development already existing in the environment)

docker-compose.yml:

version: '3.1'
services:
  my-service: 
    build:
      #$RAILS_ENV is referencing the shell environment RAILS_ENV variable
      #and passing it to the Dockerfile ARG RAILS_ENV
      #the syntax below ensures that the RAILS_ENV arg will default to 
      #production if empty.
      #note that is dockerfile: is not specified it assumes file name: Dockerfile
      context: .
      args:
        - RAILS_ENV=${RAILS_ENV:-production}
    environment: 
      - RAILS_ENV=${RAILS_ENV:-production}

Dockerfile:

FROM ruby:2.3.4

#give ARG RAILS_ENV a default value = production
ARG RAILS_ENV=production

#assign the $RAILS_ENV arg to the RAILS_ENV ENV so that it can be accessed
#by the subsequent RUN call within the container
ENV RAILS_ENV $RAILS_ENV

#the subsequent RUN call accesses the RAILS_ENV ENV variable within the container
RUN if [ "$RAILS_ENV" = "production" ] ; then echo "production env"; else echo "non-production env: $RAILS_ENV"; fi

This way I dont need to specify environment variables in files or docker-compose build/up commands:

docker-compose build
docker-compose up

回答6:

There is a nice hack how to pipe host machine environment variables to a docker container:

env > env_file && docker run --env-file env_file image_name

Use this technique very carefully, because env > env_file will dump ALL host machine ENV variables to env_file and make them accessible in the running container.

回答7:

For Amazon AWS ECS/ECR, you should manage your environment variables (especially secrets) via a private S3 bucket. See blog post How to Manage Secrets for Amazon EC2 Container Service–Based Applications by Using Amazon S3 and Docker.

回答8:

Another way is to use the powers of /usr/bin/env:

docker run ubuntu env DEBUG=1 path/to/script.sh

回答9:

If you have the environment variables in an env.sh locally and want to set it up when the container starts, you could try

COPY env.sh /env.sh
COPY <filename>.jar /<filename>.jar
ENTRYPOINT ["/bin/bash" , "-c", "source /env.sh && printenv && java -jar /<filename>.jar"]

This command would start the container with a bash shell (I want a bash shell since source is a bash command), sources the env.sh file(which sets the environment variables) and executes the jar file.

The env.sh looks like this,

#!/bin/bash
export FOO="BAR"
export DB_NAME="DATABASE_NAME"

I added the printenv command only to test that actual source command works. You should probably remove it when you confirm the source command works fine or the environment variables would appear in your docker logs.

回答10:

Using jq to convert the env to JSON:

env_as_json=`jq -c -n env`
docker run -e HOST_ENV="$env_as_json" <image>

this requires jq version 1.6 or newer

this pust the host env as json, essentially like so in Dockerfile:

ENV HOST_ENV  (all env from the host as json)

来源:https://stackoverflow.com/questions/30494050/how-do-i-pass-environment-variables-to-docker-containers

易学教程内所有资源均来自网络或用户发布的内容,如有违反法律规定的内容欢迎反馈
该文章没有解决你所遇到的问题?点击提问,说说你的问题,让更多的人一起探讨吧!