How can I deal with HTTP GET query string length limitations and still want to be RESTful?

时光怂恿深爱的人放手 提交于 2019-11-26 18:48:02

问题

As stated in http://www.boutell.com/newfaq/misc/urllength.html, HTTP query string have limited length. It can be limited by the client (Firefox, IE, ...), the server (Apache, IIS, ...) or the network equipment (applicative firewall, ...).

Today I face this problem with a search form. We developed a search form with a lot of fields, and this form is sent to the server as a GET request, so I can bookmark the resulting page.

We have so many fields that our query string is 1100 bytes long, and we have a firewall that drops HTTP GET requests with more than 1024 bytes. Our system administrator recommends us to use POST instead so there will be no limitation.

Sure, POST will work, but I really feel a search as a GET and not a POST. So I think I will review our field names to ensure the query string is not too long, and if I can't I will be pragmatic and use POST.

But is there a flaw in the design of RESTful services? If we have limited length in GET request, how can I do to send large objects to a RESTful webservice? For example, if I have a program that makes calculations based on a file, and I want to provide a RESTful webservice like this: http://compute.com?content=<base64 file>. This won't work because the query string has not unlimited length.

I'm a little puzzled...

回答1:

Based on your description, IMHO you should use a POST. POST is for putting data on the server and, in some cases, obtain an answer. In your case, you do a search (send a query to the server) and get the result of that search (retrieve the query result).

The definition of GET says that it must be used to retrieve an already existing resource. By definition, POST is to create a new resource. This is exactly what you are doing: creating a resource on the server and retrieving it! Even if you don't store the search result, you created an object on the server and retrieved it. As PeterMmm previsouly said, you could do this with a POST (create and store the query result) and then use a GET to retrive the query, but it's more pratical do only a POST and retrieve the result.

Hope this helps! :)

回答2:

HTTP specification actually advises to use POST when sending data to a resource for computation.

Your search looks like a computation, not a resource itself. What you could do if you still want your search results to be a resource is create a token to identify that specific search result and redirect the user agent to that resource.

You could then delete search results tokens after some amount of time.

Example

POST /search
query=something&category=c1&category=c2&...

201 Created

then

GET /search/01543164876

200 Ok
... your results here...

This way, browsers and proxies can still cache search results but you are submitting your query parameters using POST.

EDIT

For clarification, 01543164876 here represents a unique ID for the resource representing your search. Those 2 requests basically mean: create a new search object with these criteria, then retrieve the results associated with the created search object.

This ID can be a unique ID generated for each new request. This would mean that your server will leak "search" objects and you will have to clean them regularly with a caching strategy.

Or it can be a hash of all the search criteria actually representing the search asked by the user. This allows you to reuse IDs since recreating a search will return an existing ID that may (or may not) be already cached.

回答3:

The confusion around GET is a browser limitation. If you are creating a RESTful interface for an A2A or P2P application then there is no limitation to the length of your GET.

Now, if you happen to want to use a browser to view your RESTful interface (aka during development/debugging) then you will run into this limit, but there are tools out there to get around this.

回答4:

REST is a manner to do things, not a protocol. Even if you dislike to POST when it is really a GET, it will work.

If you will/must stay with the "standard" definition of GET, POST, etc. than maybe consider to POST a query, that query will be stored on the server with a query id and request the query later with GET by id.

回答5:

Regarding your example:http://compute.com?content={base64file}, I would use POST because you are uploading "something" to be computed. For me this "something" feels more like a resource as a simple parameter.

In contrast to this in usual search I would start to stick with GET and parameters. You make it so much easier for api-clients to test and play around with your api. Make the read-only access (which in most cases is the majority of traffic) as simple as possible!

But the dilemma of large query strings is a valid limitation of GET. Here I would go pragmatic, as long as you don't hit this limit go with GET and url-params. This will work in 98% of search-cases. Only act if you hit this limit and then also introduce POST with payload (with mime-type Content-Type: application/x-www-form-urlencoded).

Have you got more real-world examples?

回答6:

5 years later, there seems to exist another viable option - use GET's message body. I am including this answer as an alternative to all the suggestions above, even though it has its own limitations (do some research).

回答7:

This is an easy one. Use POST. HTTP doesn't impose a limit on the URL length for GET but servers do. Be pragmatic and work around that with a POST.

You could also use a GET body (that is allowed) but that's a double-whammy in that it is not correct usage and probably going to have server problems.

来源:https://stackoverflow.com/questions/4203686/how-can-i-deal-with-http-get-query-string-length-limitations-and-still-want-to-b

标签
易学教程内所有资源均来自网络或用户发布的内容,如有违反法律规定的内容欢迎反馈
该文章没有解决你所遇到的问题?点击提问,说说你的问题,让更多的人一起探讨吧!