Editing code in Visual Studio 2008 in debug mode

孤街醉人 提交于 2019-12-02 23:12:27

There are only a few reasons I know of why Edit+Continue would be disabled in the Debug build. First and foremost is a 64-bit operating system, E+C only works for 32-bit code. Fix that with Project + Properties, Build tab, Platform Target = x86.

It is also an option that might have been turned off. Tools + Options, Debugging, Edit and Continue, Enable checkbox.

If this doesn't help, tell us a bit more about the kind of code you're debugging, the project template you selected when you started the project, how you got the debugger to break and a stack trace copied from the Call Stack window.

Yes, you can.
This is called Edit and Continue.
Note that it has some limitations.

EDIT: You need to switch to a debug build.

To modify the value of a variable or set a property while in break mode go to the Immediate window, set the new value, and hit return e.g.

strValue = "newValue"
Calendar1.Enabled = true

To retrieve a value you can just print it to the window e.e.

?strValue
?Calendar1.Enabled
  1. Stop running your app.
  2. Go to Tools > Options > Debugging > Edit and Continue
  3. Disable “Enable Edit and Continue”.

In response to this question:

can I modify the code (such as the value in a variable or if my stepthrough line is about to hit an if statement ... can I modify the if statement....etc)?

You cannot pop a new value into a variable directly, but what you can do is this:

1. Set a breakpoint
  2. When that breakpoint is hit, click on the arrow in the left margin and drag it up to a previous line
  3. Now you can add code to change the circumstances (for example, you can set a variable to a new value, add/remove items from a collection, etc.)

See the other answers about enabling Edit & Continue -- in particular, make sure you're in Debug mode.

To solve this problem I did the following...

BUILD > CONFIGURATION MANAGER

Active solution configuration: DEBUG project context configuration: DEBUG

then TOOLS > OPTIONS > DEBUGGING > EDIT & CONTINUE make sure edit & continue is selected

then BUILD > CLEAN SOLUTION then BUILD > REBUILD SOLUTION

Then start debug, then pause, then your code should be editable

Below answer worked for me :

http://whyiamright.wordpress.com/2007/12/20/aspnet-edit-and-continue-in-visual-studio-2005/

The second point says - project-properties-web-> enable edit and continue.

thats it.

易学教程内所有资源均来自网络或用户发布的内容,如有违反法律规定的内容欢迎反馈
该文章没有解决你所遇到的问题?点击提问,说说你的问题,让更多的人一起探讨吧!