Is it safe to yield from within a “with” block in Python (and why)?

一世执手 提交于 2019-12-02 16:33:42

I don't really understand what conflict you're asking about, nor the problem with the example: it's fine to have two coexisting, independent handles to the same file.

One thing I didn't know that I learned in response to your question it that there is a new close() method on generators:

close() raises a new GeneratorExit exception inside the generator to terminate the iteration. On receiving this exception, the generator’s code must either raise GeneratorExit or StopIteration.

close() is called when a generator is garbage-collected, so this means the generator’s code gets one last chance to run before the generator is destroyed. This last chance means that try...finally statements in generators can now be guaranteed to work; the finally clause will now always get a chance to run. This seems like a minor bit of language trivia, but using generators and try...finally is actually necessary in order to implement the with statement described by PEP 343.

http://docs.python.org/whatsnew/2.5.html#pep-342-new-generator-features

So that handles the situation where a with statement is used in a generator, but it yields in the middle but never returns—the context manager's __exit__ method will be called when the generator is garbage-collected.

Edit:

With regards to the file handle issue: I sometimes forget that there exist platforms that aren't POSIX-like. :)

As far as locks go, I think Rafał Dowgird hits the head on the nail when he says "You just have to be aware that the generator is just like any other object that holds resources." I don't think the with statement is really that relevant here, since this function suffers from the same deadlock issues:

def coroutine():
    lock.acquire()
    yield 'spam'
    yield 'eggs'
    lock.release()

generator = coroutine()
generator.next()
lock.acquire() # whoops!

I don't think there is a real conflict. You just have to be aware that the generator is just like any other object that holds resources, so it is the creator's responsibility to make sure it is properly finalized (and to avoid conflicts/deadlock with the resources held by the object). The only (minor) problem I see here is that generators don't implement the context management protocol (at least as of Python 2.5), so you cannot just:

with coroutine() as cr:
  doSomething(cr)

but instead have to:

cr = coroutine()
try:
  doSomething(cr)
finally:
  cr.close()

The garbage collector does the close() anyway, but it's bad practice to rely on that for freeing resources.

Because yield can execute arbitrary code, I'd be very wary of holding a lock over a yield statement. You can get a similar effect in lots of other ways, though, including calling a method or functions which might be have been overridden or otherwise modified.

Generators, however, are always (nearly always) "closed", either with an explicit close() call, or just by being garbage-collected. Closing a generator throws a GeneratorExit exception inside the generator and hence runs finally clauses, with statement cleanup, etc. You can catch the exception, but you must throw or exit the function (i.e. throw a StopIteration exception), rather than yield. It's probably poor practice to rely on the garbage collector to close the generator in cases like you've written, because that could happen later than you might want, and if someone calls sys._exit(), then your cleanup might not happen at all.

That would be how I expected things to work. Yes, the block will not release its resources until it completes, so in that sense the resource has escaped it's lexical nesting. However but this is no different to making a function call that tried to use the same resource within a with block - nothing helps you in the case where the block has not yet terminated, for whatever reason. It's not really anything specific to generators.

One thing that might be worth worrying about though is the behaviour if the generator is never resumed. I would have expected the with block to act like a finally block and call the __exit__ part on termination, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

For a TLDR, look at it this way:

with Context():
    yield 1
    pass  # explicitly do nothing *after* yield
# exit context after explicitly doing nothing

The Context ends after pass is done (i.e. nothing), pass executes after yield is done (i.e. execution resumes). So, the with ends after control is resumed at yield.

TLDR: A with context remains held when yield releases control.

There are actually just two rules that are relevant here:

1. When does with release its resource?

It does so once and directly after its block is done. The former means it does not release during a yield, as that could happen several times. The later means it does release after yield has completed.

2. When does yield complete?

Think of yield as a reverse call: control is passed up to a caller, not down to a called one. Similarly, yield completes when control is passed back to it, just like when a call returns control.

Note that both with and yield are working as intended here! The point of a with lock is to protect a resource and it stays protected during a yield. You can always explicitly release this protection:

def safe_generator():
  while True:
    with lock():
      # keep lock for critical operation
      result = protected_operation()
    # release lock before releasing control
    yield result
易学教程内所有资源均来自网络或用户发布的内容,如有违反法律规定的内容欢迎反馈
该文章没有解决你所遇到的问题?点击提问,说说你的问题,让更多的人一起探讨吧!